October 20, 2023

Has Evil Won?

Has evil won the internet? And with the "interwebs" the whole wide world? Seriously, this is the debate all things I care about are unhinged by. I don't even know where to start.


Email maybe? Personal meta-data? Art being ripped off for NFTs? Writing being ripped off for e-books sold by who knows? I don't know who these "people" are. The voice of actual humans drowned by bots, because other bots are sorting out "what's popular" -- hiding singular voices from other individual's timelines across all social media. The battle of the search engines serving up what you searched for previously NOT what you are searching for NOW, or "popular" strikes again search results instead of valid verbatim searches. I.e. verbatim also known as -- exactly what we are searching for and WHY we are searching for it. Mercy please! 

Then there's autocorrect, and worse IMO smart replies. I've already written a lot about the topic of the screen space filled with that evil "help me write" plague.

All the above is screen related. I haven't gotten to climate change, the coronavirus pandemic, tax cuts for the wealthy while homelessness is beyond anything we have seen in America since 1870 before and after the civil war. The medical industry's profits rise in parallel with the decline in life expectancy ( the decline in life expectancy is caused by deaths of YOUNG people). These deaths happened in measurable numbers seen in 2018 BEFORE the pandemic.

When I was young I recall seeing an older lady (middle aged) ranting, upset about something and I'd wonder what had happened to her. Now, I am that crazy lady. Maybe, evil hasn't won over everybody/everywhere, but it seems to have won over me, ... for now. 

It seems I've lost the battle with evil. But, how does one even complain about it without being evil? Making it worse, riling up the snakes and pissing off the good folks who are also just getting by while being attacked by the snakes? 


Can't express how much I miss that coward of a girl who I was and the world that was scary to her "then". Yeah, drugs in Portland Oregon was pretty damn bad in the 90s. But, it's nothing in contrast with the new drugs plus homelessness in Portland Oregon now. 

etching 1994

I'm not brave now, I'm still "hiding from Fate's teeth" as I put it, in my art then. 

But, my loss isn't everybody's loss, right? What's one little voice being silenced in the scheme of things? 

Thanks for listening, ☮ + 💚🌎🧠's 

P.s. via Bard ai: ... on the topic of the decline in individual activity, there is also evidence that social media feeds are becoming increasingly dominated by popular and advertising content. This is likely due to the fact that social media companies are using algorithms to promote content that is more likely to keep users engaged. This means that individual posts from users are often buried at the bottom of the feed, while popular and advertising content is featured more prominently.

This trend can be seen on all major social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. For example, a study by the Pew Research Center found that in 2021, the average Facebook user saw 174 pieces of content per day, of which only 38 were from friends and family. The rest of the content was from pages, groups, and businesses....

There is some data on the decline in individual activity on social media, but it is not as comprehensive as the data on the rise of popular and advertising content. This is likely because social media companies are more interested in tracking and reporting metrics that are relevant to advertisers, such as engagement with branded content and reach.


No comments: