January 6, 2018

wish I was a tree



I recognize it's a bad time to wish to be a tree. I don't mean winter. So many trees are burning. Other tropical trees and shrubs, having never experienced ice are being frozen, buried under the weight of snow and broken. Around the globe drought and flooding is moving in never recorded biome confusing patterns significant enough to weaken entire forests, leaving trees vulnerable to pestilence and disease. 

All this doesn’t change my wish. Because I find psychology amusing, I looked for a dissociative disorder to classify my persistent dream. The closest I found was far, Depersonalization/Derealization Disorder (DDPD). It seems some folks wish they were animals? I didn’t find anything about trees.

Trees look at time differently. Each turn of the planet is a single breath. They exhale as the wave of daylight passes over them, and inhale with the turn of the planet away from the sun. Critters flit by like dust particles. They breathe and reach and pray, their dance music is the wind and clouds. Lightning strikes very quickly. The most difficult part of being a tree might be knowing how other trees around you decay or fall tangled in the dance. But, to know their lives purpose, without doubt, seems the very definition of nirvana. I still wish.

No comments: